Thursday, May 17, 2012

New York, New York! My "Mom-cation"

This past week my little sister got married in New York. Now my hubby and I were going back and forth about whether we would go as a family or just I would go. 
After agreeing that flying with 5 kids under 6 for 12 hours just wouldn't be the best idea, we opted that I would go. By myself. Alone. Solo. Just Moi.

Yes, that's me in the photo. In the city I grew up in. The absolute greatest city in the world. 

I spent some great time with my family, my good friends from high school and ran into friends that I hadn't seen in years. 

The only time I was in a car was to and from the airport. The rest of the time I walked or went by Subway. Ah, city life. It was an unbelievable week in every sense of the word. 


Here is a photo of what my freezer looked like the day before I left. I always marveled at those "once a month/once a week moms" who cook all their meals in one day for the week or the month.

After my week of cooking for the week I would be gone, it was very clear to me that making dinner fresh every night works allot better for us. I'm glad I got a chance to try it out as I always wanted to do it.

Well, while in NY, I had an interesting experience. Every once in a while I think how nice it would be for my kids to be in a real Yeshiva with lots of other kids in their class. 

On Shabbos I went to visit an old friend whose son was having a Shabbos party at their home. I walked into her house to find about 20 eleven year old Yeshiva boys bouncing all over the place. The 2 older boys who were supposed to be in charge were somewhat dumbfounded and at a loss as to how to control these kids.

It happened to be my friends sons birthday so she brought out the birthday cake to get all the kids to come back to the table. 

While they were giving out the cake, I sat myself down at the table with all the boys and just observed what was going on. There was one boy sitting so nicely and quietly at the end of the table. He looked like a quiet kid who probably would have loved to hear a nice Shabbos story or sing some songs. But the wild boys completely over powered the party so he was left there to sit and eat his birthday cake, which he ended up getting last since he wasn't grabbing or yelling to get a piece.

I decided I wanted to speak to these kids. So I stood up while they were all eating and told them where I lived and that my son doesn't get to go to Yeshiva like they do. I told them that he learns online and at home with his mommy. The first questions they asked were, "What happens if he doesn't do his homework?" and "What are his punishments when he's 'bad'?" I told them that he doesn't get homework and he has no reason to act 'bad'. It was a very interesting eye opener for me. 

This is not to say that all boys in Yeshiva are wild. Please don't get me wrong, these boys were good kids, just a little high on candy and soda and what not. 

But it made things very clear to me about what goes on out there.

Anyhow, I am back now and in full swing--- here are some things we have done this week:

In learning about this weeks Parshah, we learned that when the Jews keep the Mitzvos and study Torah, Hashem sends lots of rain to Israel and lots of fruit and vegetables grow. There will be Peace in Israel and the animals will be good to each other. Here are some cute projects the kids did to illustrate that:
  


Here are 2 Mitzvah Trains the kids made to show some Mitzvos that we can do to get these Brachot: 

And this is just 2 Space stations/Satellites that my son made out of paper cups, bowls, pencils and cardboard. He is very into Space and had a ball making these: 

This is one of those Color-a-cookie I brought back from NY for my kiddos to enjoy: 

And that, my friends, is what is going on in our neck of the woods. 
Wishing you all a wonderful week,
Always, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...