Monday, August 24, 2015

Elul- Helping our Kids connect to Hashem

Its that time of year again, where we teach our kids about The King in the Field and how Hashem is so accessible to all of us during this month.

We read stories and color pictures but how do we actually teach our kids how to connect to Hashem when He is so close to us?

This was something I was personally struggling with and after speaking with someone very wise and close to me, she suggested I write a letter to Hashem. Thank Him for all the things I am thankful for. Tell him what you are doing to connect to Him. Ask Him for what I need. And don't be shy about it.

It sounded a bit strange at first, but I did it. And it felt amazing.

And so I figured, why not give my kids the chance to do it, on a very simple level.

I made a template for them and we all sat down this morning and discussed ways to connect to Hashem. They all got their paper and for about 20 minutes were very deep in thought writing down or drawing (depending on their age) what they were thankful for, what they are doing to make Hashem proud and then their personal requests. I told them it was their private letters and gave them each their own folder to keep it in. I made a bunch of copies and decided to use these this month, before we daven.

They really enjoyed it and I think they really felt the connection in a very real way.


Happy Elul,
Always,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...